What Are The Biggest Benefits of AC Tune-Ups
Many of us have a fairly hands-off relationship with our air conditioning units. We set the temperature we want to maintain in our homes, and as long as things feel good we barely pay attention to the AC. Then, one day, it stops working, and at that point, we are in for costly repairs or replacements, not to mention the discomfort of sitting in a hot environment in the meantime.
It doesn’t have to be this way. If you practice preventative maintenance, you can drastically reduce the chances of an unexpected AC malfunction. Allowing a professional to periodically inspect and tune-up your AC actually yields numerous benefits.
- Optimal Performance: An AC’s overall function depends on the successful interplay of all its component parts. Fan blades, cooling coils, filters — if any one of these is damaged or dirty, it begins to impact system performance. This could mean that the unit has to work harder and draw more power, to achieve the same results, or it could lead to the breakdown of a part all together. Regular maintenance will ensure every component is clean and functional.
- Cleaner Air: Speaking of cleaning, AC units draw in a constant stream of particulate matter. All the dust and microscopic debris that exists in any home makes its way into the unit’s filters and even beyond. If allowed to accumulate, that dirt can impede airflow and cause damage to the unit, but perhaps more important, it can be spewed back into the air you breathe. Routine maintenance includes cleaning the filters and interior thoroughly, eliminating this problem.
- Lower Cost: While this may seem counter-intuitive, spending a little on routine maintenance will help you to avoid spending a lot on serious repairs or total unit replacements. How much you save depends on the type of AC setup you have.
How Important Are Regular Air Conditioning Tune-Ups?
The benefits of AC maintenance are many, but that doesn’t make it necessary. As mentioned above, the cost to benefit relationship will depend on how extensive — and expensive — your AC unit is, to begin with.
For example, a central air setup can cost thousands of dollars. That means allowing it to break down would entail spending hundreds on repairs, and thousands for a complete replacement. In that case, regular maintenance is the best choice financially.
By the way, when we talk about AC setup, keep in mind that AC Repair Cincinnati might cost you even more.
Conversely, a cheap window AC unit can be had for less than $200. The cost of maintaining it would quickly exceed the cost of replacing it entirely, meaning it would be more cost-effective to buy another when it breaks down.
Best Way To Hire an AC Maintenance Professional
If you do decide to perform regular maintenance, your best bet is to hire a professional. Choosing the best option from the countless options available may seem daunting, but there are a few key things to look for to get the most for your dollars.
- Expertise: Make sure the company you’re dealing with is employing certified and licensed HVAC technicians. While any handy person can probably figure out how to handle some AC problems, an HVAC technician will know the safest and most effective way to service the widest range of devices, anticipate problems that may arise, and be able to answer any questions you may have.
- Convenience: Find a company that can schedule service when you need it. Look for those that offer 24-hour availability. Even if you don’t expect to schedule maintenance during off-hours, if you ever require emergency repairs, you’ll be glad to have that option.
- Pricing: A good rule of thumb is to get a least 3 estimates from local companies to compare. However, if the lowest price comes from a less reputable company, that doesn’t mean you should take the risk. Mainly, you want to be sure that the estimate you’re given is competitive in your area, and that you aren’t being grossly overcharged.
- Service Plans: The best option for regular maintenance is to sign up for a long term plan. This should be cheaper than calling in individual appointments separately, and it saves you the trouble of having to remember the maintenance schedule yourself. Find a company that offers such a service, and you can rest assured that your AC will be well taken care of.